Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Neighbor, friend, treasure hunter

Last night I had dinner with my good friend Steve K. (aka SK111). He was my upstairs neighbor when I lived in Sausalito from 2000-2001. SK111 was catching me up on the last 2 years (we haven't seen each other for 14 months) of his life, with this year being the most exciting. He's such a great story teller, doesn't leave out details, but doesn't go on and on. He had me on the edge of my seat all evening.

SK111's an art dealer/collector. For the longest time, he dealt in Southeast Asian arts, specifically Phillipine art. But lately he's gotten into Vietnamese, Chinese, and Thai. He travels constantly and knows museum curators and people from Christy's - very exciting life. Anyways, he's stumbled upon someone who's been collecting for over 40 years and is finally wanting to sell... and two purchases he's made so far, he's discovered to be extremely valuable - we're talking 14th and 15th century porcelain vases/jars worth in his estimate at least $600K each.

SK111 knows his shit, and he's the only treasure hunter I know of.

No comments: