
AG, the girls and I went out for our walk since the sun was shining and it was warm and gorgeous outside. We took a detour from our regular route and look at what we found, a lush hidden community garden with budha's, gargoyles, mint, flowers, and old bamboo.
The guy said the bamboo was planted in 1975 - nice.How appropriate since I've been talking about my little garden - which I have big plans for this summer. Am thinking of replacing the sliding glass doors with french doors. Pulling out all the so called plants (aka weeds) against the fence and to make room for the benches we made last year. I'd like to tie the bouganvillias so they climb up along the trellis and introduce fragrant climbing jasmine too. So much to do...
Along our walk, we stopped by the old man's hardware store, on Mission and 25th street (owned by two twin old men - hence my name for the store). They are gruff, sweet, cute old men - probably in their 70's and probably have ran that store for over a decade. They have everything there, but nothing is organized. So if you want something, you have to ask them, and they will find it for you. They know every nook and cranny and where every nut and bolt lies. To my eyes, it all looks like someone's garage and everything is stashed wherever there is space. I'm surprised they are still in business since everything is quite inexpensive. For example, I bought some fly strings (like fly paper), for $.59/each. Not used to paying for things under $1.00, can't really even purchase gum for that price anymore. Well, I support mom/pop stores and I love the character they provide to the neighborhood.
On 24th street and Bryant, we stopped by an old Soda Fountain hangout. They still make their own ice-cream, so AG and I bought a pint of Rocky Road and Chocolate Mint ice cream... yum... I love home made everything.
And tonight, I have a date with AG... a traditional date since we never really had the opportunity to do that. A movie, dinner, and possibly even a good night kiss if he's lucky ;).
1 comment:
Did someone get lucky? whoo hooo! I love that ice cream joint, I used to work down the street and would spoil my clients there. They have good grilled cheese sandwhiches too!
Post a Comment