Sunday, June 29, 2008

Seattle - A sparkly jewel

Aesha and I flew out Friday night for Seattle. She is the best travel buddy. We got to the airport and wouldn't you know, the one time I didn't bring her birth certificate (because the last 3 times we brought it, no one bothered to ask), the guy asks me. Of course he let me off this time...

We made it through security - but it was a little hectic with Aesha in the Ergo, my backpack with my laptop, taking off my shoes and jacket, all while holding onto Aesha, my driver's license & boarding pass. It was even trickier putting everything back on, but somehow I managed. We got to our gate and I let her loose on the carpet. She is intent on using her newfound crawling skills. By the time we boarded and were seated, she was ready to pass out. It was 9:30pm and past her bedtime. She slept the entire flight. while we were descending I placed her back into the ergo and she slept through the landing and all the airport announcements as I got to baggage claims. Mr. T was waiting for us. She even slept through me installing her car seat, getting her in the car seat and driving all the way home. She actually didn't wake up except for the few times in the night to continue nursing. In the morning, my mom scooped her up and hijacked her into their room. It didn't take but a minute before little Ms. Aesha let it be known, she wasn't having it. My mom returned her to me within 5 minutes.

But of course I was already awake, it was our usual 6:30am wakeup time. At noon, people began arriving and the BBQ began. That was when I noticed that Aesha's 2nd tooth barely peeking out from the gums! Whoohoo. Her first one came in two months ago and the 2nd one is right next door. I've been waiting for the rest of her teeth to come in since she's been working the first one to death.

It was a scorcher - 87 degrees in the shade. I ate mostly watermelon for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Aesha and I had walked around my mom's yard all day. I wanted to show her the brilliant reds in the tiger lillies, and to touch and smell the white and orange roses. Seattle is gorgeous when it's sunny and hot. The sky was clear blue and I could see the white peaked mountains. Aesha loved sitting on the grass as she touched each blade. With all the flowers blooming and the trees and grass so green, and the sky so clear with no clouds, Seattle was like a sparkly buffed diamond.

Today Aesha and I have been hanging out on the deck, smelling the flowers, listening to wind chimes, playing in the water fountain and waiting for small breezy drafts to cool us down. I was nostalgic for all the summer days in Longview and Seattle when I had the time to lay in the grass and listen to the lawn mower or a plane in the distance. I even ate a cream puff... someone stop me... I'm going for another....

Earlier, we met up with Loan and Rob. It was great to see them and catch up on gossip about the people we both knew. I wasn't ready to head back home yet, so we stopped in the mall. I bought a couple of dresses, but generally am ready to implement a workout regime. I've been waiting for little Miss Sunshine to get tired so I can take a nap, but she's happily munching on a carrot and talking to all her toys. Tomorrow evening we head to Portland.

No comments: