Thursday, March 15, 2007

Doctor Visit #2

Yesterday AG and I went to our 2nd doctor's appointment. Here are the stats:

1. I've gained 7lbs (last visit I was 126lbs, yesterday I'm at a whopping 133lbs.) I'm supposed to gain 30-35lbs total (that's minimal for a healthy baby and doesn't include ben & jerry lbs.). God, I'll be 160lbs!
2. We heard Baby G's heartbeat with the doppler (which you can now rent monthly and listen anytime you want). It's slowed down a bit and isn't as fast as it was at 8 weeks. Took the doc awhile to find the heartbeat, I guess Baby G was hiding somewhere - sneaky devil.
3. My blood type is B+ (I knew this a long time ago, but have completely forgotten)
4. Doctor says I'm looking very healthy and won't be seeing him for another 6 weeks.

AG and I know that we are in good hands with this doctor, but in general, we've been disatisfied with the impersonal treatment. Kaiser provides little guidance with first time parents. We have little understanding and knowledge of what to expect during this process (i.e. we could do a birth plan later on and visit the hospital room etc.) It would be nice if they just sat us down and told us what to expect in the 9 months (knowing that there's room for variations due to individual circumstances). Anyways, I was frustrated with Dr. Jacobson. At points in time he didn't explain technical/medical terms (i.e. my hemoglobin electrophorsis is normal), but would go through really basic things like explaining what HIV was and that I was negative. Who doesn't know what HIV is? Maybe it's my hormones, but my sarcasm was aimed and ready but AG held me back.

I am thinking that next year, I'll change my HMO plan to something else. As a patient, I expect the medical staff to give me as much information as they are able to and provide some level of expectations. It's scary sometimes when you are the patient and don't have any idea what's supposed to be normal and what should happen next. Providing information helps alleviate some of those fears. I found him to be nonpersonal and a little condescending and possibly am thinking of changing to a different doctor.

AG and I went to lunch in Japantown afterwards and did absolutely nothing the rest of the day except watch tv and took in a long wonderful nap on the couch. Today, is even more beautiful and warmer than yesterday. I bought some pink hyacinths and can't wait to clean up the backyard so we can enjoy the sun and nice weather.

Oh yes, I forgot that my hormones did go into overdrive the other day as I started freaking out about all the things that had to happen before the baby came. So many little things here and there, not just in our personal life but at work and preparing to start a small business on the side. Poor AG was so tired from his bachelor's weekend and my hormones timed itself perfectly to stress him out more ;). So now we've agreed that I should make a To Do list so he knows all the little things that run inside this little head of mine. I have to admit being pregnant has really made me crazy in the worry and planning area. Most of the time, I sympathize for AG and what he has to go through during these months... and I've got to give him credit for his amazing patience. I've been a little demanding lately. Every once in a blue moon I just wanna kill someone and unfortunately, he's the closest target (this is not that often thankfully - once so far).

No comments: