Last Sunday on April Fool's was Jess' birthday and we took her to a Morroccan dinner. I think the restaurant was Tangiers... in Oakland. The dinner was delicious - more pictures posted on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/56879563@N00/. It's funny to see a front shot of me, I look wider than the side view. We also got Baby G's first furniture, a bassinet from Craigslist... Both AG and I believe in recycling where we can instead of the constant consumerist attitude. A wonderful woman who had given birth to a baby boy 5 months earlier gave it to me for free. She warned me "don't let the baby sleep in your bed, they will never leave." She never used the bassinet and the baby's too big now. It's actually perfect. AG felt emasculated a bit carrying the bassinet from the car - even though he thinks it's cute. (Note: Men are funny creatures.)
I did receive a call today from Kaiser. Baby G's amnio came back wonderful - normal and nothing to worry. As for the gender, we are going to keep that a secret for a couple more weeks to savor between ourselves. We also want to share the news with our family first at our Seattle family dinner. So please, don't ask until after April 20th. Our lips are sealed.

I finally spoke to my mom last night for the first time since we broke the news. I know I'm stubborn - and I was upset with her for not being more supportive when I shared such special news to her. It's taken only another month and a half for me to finally forgive her. I don't like being passive aggressive, and I know that I would be had I been forced to talk to her before I forgave her. She's finally very excited about the baby, finally! Geesh. Both her and my father have respectfully requested a girl, as if I had any say in the matter. AG's mom thinks it's a boy, and AG's brother Dave is hoping for a tyke to play with. My mom is hoping for a little girl who looks like AG with little dark ringlets and dimples and such. Funny - she didn't hope for the girl to look like me, hmmm..... I think she thinks AG's prettier than me.... of course he's embarressed, but when we went to Vietnam, my aunt was cooing over his lashes and curls as well. And if it's a boy, it should look like me since I'm more striking than AG.... (smile).
I also wanted to input some information about Baby G - regarding the Chinese Zodiac and the debate about the "Golden Pig" year. If you don't already know, there is a huge debate going on in the Asian countries whether this year is the infamous Golden Pig year. Approximately 600 years ago (during the Golden Age of China), was the year of the Golden Pig which brought about great fortune for the Chinese. Since then, the Chinese have professed that another Golden Pig era would occur in another 600 years. The debate is whether we are within that 600 years. There has been a huge increase in pregnancy rates and participation at fertility clinics due to this rumor. A child born into the Golden Pig year is thought to have wonderous fortune (especially in finance). Crazy huh?
I only wanted to have a little piggy - I didn't realize it could be a Gold Piggy. Pigs are signs of good luck and prosperity in the Asian culture. I have to admit, I've a relatively easy life in many ways. Money came into my hands when I needed it. I also like characteristics that the Pig has - chivalrous, loyal.... so a Piggy we were trying to make.
If you go to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_zodiac - you can see the complexity of Chinese Zodiac system. According to this chart, Baby G is a Red Fire Golden Yin Pig. (I'm a Metal Golden Yin Pig.)
The 1st element is made up of the Heaven element - this year it's fire. Both AG and I were metal. For the 2nd element Baby G is the Gold Yin Pig. I am a Gold Yin Pig and AG is Gold Yang Dog. This rumor that a Golden Pig wouldn't happen for another 600 years is probably incorrect. My understanding of the Chinese Zodiac is that the system is a sexagenary cycle (60 years) based on 5 Heavenly elements and 12 earthly cycles (animals). However, there could be some truth to this rumor since there is another element (combination element) which could complicate it more. The Wikipedia doesn't speak to adding this element into the equation so I'm not sure, will confirm when I can find an answer.
So technically speaking, Baby G IS a Red Fire Golden Pig. Quite a mouthful.
2 comments:
Quite a mouthful indeed. What ever Baby G is, I know heshe is going to be one blessed child. I cannot wait to have this child in our life! I am so happy.
And you all look gorgeous! Again something is not right with these pictures... oh yea. I'm not there! We'll have to take tons in May. You look gorgeous mama. xoxo
Ok, just went to check up on your pictures to see all my friends. ITS ALL FOOD PORN! you are so funny, of course it is!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment