Monday, June 26, 2006

The Mid Zone

For lack of a better phrase, I'll use the term Mid Zone to describe the state of mind I'm in when I've pushed and worked really hard to reach a goal and haven't seen enough progress to provide that final push to the finish line. Like this Saturday when I was running, and .5 mile into it I started feeling a side ache and I knew this was gonna be a bitch for the remaining 4 miles. I wanted to quit and rationalize that my body was too tired, and I had already ran the day before.
Or, on the broader analogy, I've been running hard for the last 3 weeks now going on 4 weeks and although I've seen improvements in leg definition, my belly is muffined over my pants and am not quite fitting into my favorite jeans. Or that I've finally found information on a possible business development, but life's distractions and my energy level have kept me from reading the information I need to begin. Anyways, it's this Mid Zone that I find so easy to rationalize changing course... And this is where I've been these last several weeks. I just haven't caught that 2nd wind yet. But I know it's there, I've been here before.

THIS WEEKEND:
Friday was unexpectedly nice - caught up with Margo and Maddick - good conversations with both, I mean really good conversations. I'd been missing that from Maddick lately, but somehow or another, we ended up in a corner by ourselves and really talking about love, life...

Saturday, AG and I ran some errands but spent the rest of the day lounging and sleeping (he hadn't been feeling well). But we did meet Andy our new roommate... Really great guy. I liked him on the phone instantly when I called to reschedule, his voice and mannerism was so familiar. When we met him - I saw glimpses of Helsley's spirit. Just easy going, no worries, had a very good sense of himself, intelligent, enjoying life, not out to prove himself to anyone. And from his stories, I could tell that his friends were super important to him. I like that, and AG did too. I bet anything Helsley would approve.

Sunday: After a full day of rest, I got AG out into the garden. He knows me so well - and how high I get when the house is clean. We attacked and rearranged the garden and made a more inviting place to relax. I get so giddy when everything is in order it scares me bc I used to be such a slob.

Then we mosied on to the Gay Pride celebration at Civic Center. Hoping to run into friends, but were happy looking for grubs and searching for good live music. Then met up at Shelaine's for dinner. Thoroughly enjoyed meeting his sister Fiona (interesting name, Sion and Fionna). Her kids were great, the little girl was so helpful and had a mind of her own and not afraid to state her opinions... and they were well thought out opinions. Fionna's husband manages Singapore Airlines' aiport stations so he travels all over the world growing up in different countries. They are currently stationed in India.. but what a neat childhood.

Actually AG and I have disucssed that in length. It's my dream to work out of SF 9 months out of the year and have 3 months (preferrably summer months) to live and have a different deep cultural experience. That's what I'm working hard to get to....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, with the middle of the hill that you're climbing feeling, I'll try to emulate some of your persistence...and congrats on finding the roomate!

Scott and Christie said...

I am so happy to hear an update about you! Thanks glad to hear all the good news, I love your vision! xoxo