Saturday, February 25, 2006

SF parking sucks but Project 20 rocks

Parking is one downside of living in this great city, but I've gotta give a shout out to Project 20 and the creator of this Program. Project 20 gives back to the community. If you have parking tickets, you can elect to pay a fee (a % of your total tickets) and work off the remainder (at $6/hr) for any of the 3000 nonprofits in the city. The newest rule of Project 20 requires that you complete half of your hours with City Works (i.e. picking up trash/debris on streets) (9 hour credits on Saturday and 12 hour credits on Sunday).

This morning, I woke up at 7:30am and headed towards the courthouse. Today I helped high school students paint and clean up Burton High School. It was a great feeling to see young kids volunteering on a beautiful weekend to support the clean up of their school. I felt really good about my contribution to the community. We painted the bleachers, others cleaned up graffiti and landscaped the fields. Walmart provided bottled waters and Subway provided food for the volunteers. Note: I discovered that Walmart had a Manager's Cleanup program where their manager cleared debris and cleaned up garbage littered around Walmart stores. What a neat way to give back to the community. For those who can't give money, give a part of your time. This city is so progressive.

1 comment:

Scott and Christie said...

Pretty progressive for evil Wallmart. Maybe that cleans their Karma somehow. Which aisle are the guns in again? ;)
Yes community service is good for the soul, as is being around kids who feel like they are contributing somehow. And how!