So we've been home now for 8 days. There's been some ups and downs. After the cesarean, I was taking percocet for the pain management - which I didn't realize is a very strong controlled narcotic. I was taking 2 every 4 hours and then supplementing with an additional dose of ibuprophen every 8 hours. We were discharged Wednesday and by Saturday morning I realized we were almost out of percocet. AG called up Kaiser to get a refill. Due to the weekend - we had to wait for Monday for a return call. So I reduced my dosage to 1 every 4 hours Saturday and then by Sunday down to 1 every 8 hours. Of course I started feeling all the stitches.
Monday Kaiser called and it was a circus trying to fil the prescription. Every nurse told us a different story. My NP said she filled the prescription but by the time we got to the pharmacy - we were told that we couldn't get the percocet because it was a controlled narcotic - a class C - and required the prescription to be walked into the pharmacy. We began this conversation at 11am and by the time we were done, it was 5pm and we couldn't deal with it anymore and took a prescription of vicodin instead. When I got home, I researched percocet and discovered that it's highly addictive and very strong and contrary to what the doctors told us, there is a possibility that it passes to the baby through breast milk. Ugh. I'm glad I'm off that. Could be our imagination - but we believe it does pass throug to Aesha - she was sleeping all the time, to the point that she wasn't feeding well. It took so much energy to keep her awake through her feedings - and my milk didn't come through. 10 hours after being off percocet - I started having shakes - which is one sign of withdrawal. The good news is that I started waking up and so did Aesha. Although I felt more pain, it was all worth it.
Then this morning, I woke up and went to the bathroom only to find out that my wound was gushing out some fluid - including some blood and white liquid. This freaked me out. AG spent the morning calling the nurse and asking what we should do. We went to Kaiser at 10am. The OB took off my bandage and found that the wound was open and had to stuff gauze into the wound and reseal it. AG will now need to dress my wound for the next several days - but thankfully no infection so far.
Ven, Jen and Jeven flew in last night from NJ. They came to visit us this afternoon. Jeven is huge (pictures of the two will be up soon). Jen left to hang out with friends. Ven is hanging out tonight with AG. Uncle Ven has fallen under Aesha's spell and can't put her down. I think he'd love to hang out with her all night if he could. It's very cute. He's been holding and singing to her all day. It's great seeing them - he's the only other guy I know besides AG who is so good at taking care of his family. Makes sense why they are best friends.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thats a lot to go through honey. I am glad you are off the drugs and feeling better, heal heal heal love love love you
You are amazing! I don't know how to pain is now, but I took a lot of homeopathic Arnica post-birth and it did seem to help. And it's non-addictive and doesn't pass to baby. You can get it at Whole Foods, just ask the vitamin people.
Post a Comment