Friday, December 09, 2005

Tante Marie's Cooking School

Last night we attended a Qwest holiday event at Tante Marie's house, owner of Tante Marie's cooking school http://www.tantemarie.com/. What a beautiful victorian house, an inspiration. I love my condo - it's practical - spacious and modern. But if I had money to restore one of these beautiful victorians..... Of course the kitchen was fantastic (pictures will be posted). The upper kitchen had a long butcher block island with a stove inserted (see picture in the website, that's her kitchen). Great area for cutting and dicing. Right behind was another stove.

The lower kitchen was smaller and for baking. Of course, it's about the normal size of most SF kitchens... Mine's a little larger, but only a smidgeon. 34 people present, most of them either Qwest executives or their premiere customers. I probably made it on the list because of a $1.4M overcharge and because Qwest is intent on soliciting more deals. We sat next to the CEO of Cadence - nice guy, but he was dropping names like we were execs ourselves. I find that funny. Bragging is a characteristic I identify with insecurity.

Faye and I chose to make chocolate cake with raspberry and medallion chocolates. I'm not much of a baker, mostly because I don't enjoy cakes and find them over-indulgent - but I enjoy the creativity of it. AG went to make potatoe gratin. I think he had a great time chatting with Qwest's marketing director who organized the event. While we were chatting, drinking wine, and making food, the groups that finished began serving their creations. Appetizers included artichoke and fresh crab (I have a new appreciation for artichokes) and also some divine mushroom h'orsdoevers. The main course consisted of a beautiful salmon and caviar salad, seared sirloin medallion steaks and potatoe gratin. And of course dessert - chocolate cake with raspberries, freshed whipped cream and a sprig of mint. We served the chocolate medallions with coffee. As a parting gift, I received a bottle of Cakebread (oh my, one of my favorites), and a box of See's candy.

This has to be one of my favorite vendor events. It was creative, interactive and really fun. On top of the wonderful food and fun conversations, all the proceeds of the event went towards Tante's nonprofit - to provide food to the hungry. She hosts approximately 35 of these events at her home annually to fund her nonprofit.

I did get liquored up nicely - and left just in time, before I got sloppy or passed out. Poor AG - I woke up this morning not remembering how I got into bed. Of course I passed out wearing my party attire.

No comments: