My first day at work... feels like the first day of school. Got my picture taken (for my badge), received notebooks and pens, signed into my computer, filled out lots of forms went to a lot of meetings and met a lot of people. Very similar, except I will receive a paycheck instead of grades for being there.
The Gap is similar to any corporate headquarters, but I realized I've been spoiled working at a high tech software company. Computer access to the internet with little supervision is not common to general corporate America. My first day at work and already, everything feels different. In the past I enjoyed being the worker bee, with my head down and hoping everyone would leave me alone to do my job. Now, I'm mentally aware of every connection I make. I take note of each person I meet, what they do, their title, how do they fit into the scheme. I'm thinking three steps ahead trying to understand each piece of every position and attempting to remember all the pieces of each project that will integrate into the direction the company is heading. I like this mental change. Makes what I do much more interesting.
The commute is so nice. It took me 10 minutes to get to work and to return home and pick up Aesha. I can drive on 101 or 280, and for lunch I can go to all the stores off of 280 that felt so far away before. Already I feel changes, which are all positive.
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment