Friday, August 15, 2008

Last Day

It felt really good to drop off boxes of contracts, hand in my badge, office key and cell phone. Last night I worked super late to complete all the projects I promised I'd complete. As I drove off and onto the highway, I realized that I am someone who cares about my words. Although I had some rough times there, I wanted to leave on a positive note, I wanted to make sure they regretted letting me get away. The sweetest revenge is success. I may meet these people again, the telecom world is small.

It also felt wonderful how many connections I'd made with vendors. So many of them responded to my farewell email. I really am glad to have left Symantec. The place felt too cold, very business and little relationship building.

This evening, Rachel, Aesha and I sat shiva for Tikva. I watched Dave and Gal as they opened their home. I didn't have many words for them, I didn't know how to express the grief they must be feeling. I could only imagine if anything happened to Aesha....how devastated I'd be. How does one recover from such a thing? I guess if you had faith that death is not the end, but only another level. I'm not sure how I feel about death. The science behind how our bodies work doesn't allow any room to explain the soul. Every once in awhile, I do question whether we just stop existing when we do. Do the lights just extinguish? Then I look at a corpse and see the difference between what is just flesh and what we have, so much more.

So I have two weeks before starting my new position at Gap. Already, my schedule is full with friends to visit that I haven't seen, and a list of things to complete. It's good that we have that week at burningman to do nothing but enjoy each other, our friends, our lives.

No comments: