Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

We returned from our 12 days in the northwest. My dad finally got to meet Aesha for the first time. And slowly, surely she hooked him in and stole his heart like she did everyone she met. The first time we met at our usual Pho restaurant and he was obviously happy and loved holding her, but by the end of the trip, he (like all the other grandparents) followed her around waiting for an opportunity to hold her again when she wasn't crying. It was so sweet to see my dad's face light up. At one point he said something very poignant, that she gave him hope. It was really beautiful.

I think he also felt a closer bond to AG as well because he wanted a picture of the three of them. I'm a lot like my father in looks and personality. He really sees AG for the amazing man he is. He told me so on our last day hanging out, that I chose reallly well. I love that about my dad. We always were able to communicate. When I was a child he would sing to me and tell me stories. The most inspiring were about strong women who were able to rise above their restrictions. My dad definitely is the stronger influence and I'm excited for Aesha to hear all the stories I heard when I was a child.


Even now, my dad respects my decisions and we discuss the reasons I choose a specific path, even if it goes against what he was raised to believe. For example, when AG and I decided to get pregnant without getting married first, he really understood. He knew that AG was special, he heard me when I told him so. I can't say the same about my mom. She understands now that we have Aesha, but she didn't get it before. My dad told me we'd get married when we were ready and it wasn't all that important. I love that he completely understood, I barely had to explain my actions to him.


And the rest of my Asian crew finally got to meet Aesha. I've known these girls since high school and college and we've been through a lot together; first loves, marriages, divorces, heartaches.... Since then we've all gone down different paths but our friendship is strong and it was lovely to see how much they enjoyed meeting Aesha.

Aesha was amazing on the plane there and even better on our return. She got a certificate and her wings from Southwest Airlines. Everyone adored her. She never cried, except for 1 minute when she was telling us she was hungry.

While in Seattle, my mom bought the cradle swing and saved our skins. We were told that the "swing" was one of the most important things to buy, but no one distinguished what type of swing. We bought a swing previously but this was not the cradle swing where babies can lie down. Long story short, the minute we landed, dropped our bags off at home, I booked off to Babiesrus and bought that swing and we've been so much happier since. We no longer need to swaddle her up, put her in the ergo and walk for hours up and down the stairs and through the hallways to get her to sleep. I get impatient with my mom sometimes because she nags so much and repeats all her suggestions, but I have to give her kudos. She knows what she's doing most of the time, she had 5 of us.

In summary, the trip was great; but we are so happy to be home. There's nothing like coming home to a place we've made together. So much thanks to grandparents, friends, and community (the family we create wherever we are). I'm thankful for the decisions that I've made or were made for me to get me to where I am today, in a loving relationship - creating a beautiful family and sharing that love with those around us....

2 comments:

Scott and Christie said...

You sound awsome baby, strong and confident. I love the life you are creating as well. It is beautiful to hear you talk about your family. Much love to you all...

BodhisattvaBaby said...

hey sorry! i should have told you about which swing to buy. i couldn't have survived without noi's swing and also there is another thing you should try to get, i gave mine to lenira. i never turned the vibration on, but marina and noi loved this thing!
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2001&e=detail&site=us&pid=31328&selcat=bgb

hey! i remember your friends! i loved them, we met at your place with colin. nice to see them again.

i'm happy to hear you had a nice time with your dad. now that you have a child, you will probably come to understand your mom more, maybe?!

being married is nice, but you can always get a divorce, so it doesn't really mean anything, except for tax purposes! and of course the wedding is just for everyone to get together and party about you guys, so please do have a wedding sometime so we can party with you!